Tuesday, January 11, 2005

To the Women

(Reading Instructions: Read this once, then read again in synchronized paragraph with To the Man.)

Ladies, Ladies, Please! Wait your turns.
At least wait till the butter’s churned.
I’ve gotta analyze,
supervise,
scrutinize,
Matters beyond your puny minds.
Ladies, Ladies, you will get your turns.

Ladies, Ladies, cease this banter.
Look elsewhere for your cheap chatter.
I just wanna,
gotta,
hav’ta,
Climb this social ladder.
Ladies, Ladies, sob to your mothers.

Ladies, Ladies, Wrong! Bad Judgment.
I’m the Scholar of the Government.
I have returned,
to Singaporean,
no longer Western,
Armed with modern acumen.
Ladies, Ladies, redo this assignment.

Ladies, Ladies, I am to stay.
Let’s get married without delay.
All my words you’ll obey,
everyday,
any way,
After we walk down the aisle at the Quay. (Fullerton?)
Ladies, Ladies. Ladies? Where are they?

Ladies, Ladies, are hard to please.
I wish they’re made like good ol’ Eve.
Guess I’ll have to look overseas.
A Chinese,
Japanese,
Russian, Malaysian, maybe Vietnamese.
Ladies, Ladies. Ladies that will please.

Ladies, Ladies, I’m to marry.
Bet you are now feeling sorry.
Bought her for a handsome dowry.
Her virgin,
examined.
Unlike you, she’s sweet, not sultry.
Ladies, Ladies, honeymoon’s Paris.

Ladies, Ladies, how’s everything?
Why are you dating those beings?
Some were my peers,
inferior,
“Heartlanders”.
Now I’m their superior.
Ladies, Ladies, this is so shocking.

Ladies, ladies, everything’s fine.
Wife’s expecting, thus she’s confined.
Zhou Mi’s such a beauty.
Cranky?
Maybe…
But she gives me enough pocket money.
Ladies, Ladies, I’m more than fine.

Ladies, Ladies, she’s got the blues.
Threw me out with only my shoes.
Where can I go?
To Dad?
I’m Sad
That I haven’t cuddled my Regent Goh.
Ladies, Ladies, I still have no clues.

Ladies, Ladies, I’ll be in Court.
Bloody Bitch screwed the man from Courts.
That Bastard’s his,
that Regent.
Religion
Keeps me alive through all this.
Ladies, Ladies, there! There’s the trio to the Court.

Ladies, Ladies, Skip the Headlines.
The bitch’s been spouting all these lies.
I’m a Chauvinist?
Me, Impotent?!
Incompetent?!
She might as well call me a Communist!
Ladies, Ladies, disregard these lies.

Ladies, Ladies, farewell for now.
Here I’m taking my final bow.
My life’s taken a torrid twist.
Commotions,
demotions.
Devotions.
For in this Church, I slit my wrist.
Ladies, Ladies. Blessings, God Bestows.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tormented genius said...

Fair comment. The manner of rhetoric and phrasing of both the "singers" are meant as a reflection of their voices, not the poet's. However you perceive the writing, and the contrived rhymes, is the perception of the characters themselves. I m no great poet, this was merely an experiment on voice and an absence of an omni-directional process, meaning the sender does not respond to the receivers' response. Reflection of personalities, perhaps? I do like this poem, perhaps you may wish to help me refine this piece? I am a "public sphere" poet, rather than a "private" poet. Perhaps this lowers my poetic integrity, but this is my agenda. I find it impossible to "connect with my inner self", to borrow a New Ageism cliche, so a commentary piece is the only thing I know. Reference the rest of the poems or crap on this page and you can agar-agar my style, mood, and purpose. Thanks for the feedback. At least someone's reading. Heh.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home